cheap accountants - codes

When we take on a new client there are often a number of codes which are required to allow us to correctly submit the work we’ve completed on your behalf. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing as it allows both the client and accountant to establish a relationship with a mutual understanding whereby all submissions, etc are in fact authorised by the client.

We are asked on a regular basis what codes are needed and why, so here at we have decided to write this blog post explain each of the codes and what they relate to.

Companies House Company Number

This is simply your Limited Company’s registration number with Companies House. We need this number to look up filling dates as well as gaining information in company directors and the number of shares issued.

Companies House Authentication Code

This code is often revived when a limited company is incorporated. If you don’t have a copy of this code a reminder can be mailed to you by Companies House to the registered company address and your accountant will be able to help you with this.

The authentication code is needed by your accountant to allow him or her to submit your company accounts and annual return to Companies House on your behalf. The code effectively asks as your online signature with Companies House. Always ensure that you review documents prior to submission by your accountant.

Unique Tax Reference (UTR)

The UTR is needed by your accountant when submitting your accounts and corporation tax return to HMRC. The submissions cannot be completed without this code. The code is a unique code which identifies your company within the HMRC tax system.

Agent Authorisation Code

Before making submissions to HMRC your accountant will need to request agent clearance from HMRC. This was previously a paper exercise but most accountants now complete this online. This involves a code being posted to you from HMRC which you need to provide to your accountant who will then enter the code online to prove that you have agreed for the accountant to act on your behalf.

A new code is needed for each HMRC tax, for example, PAYE, self assessment tax, corporation tax and VAT.

If you are in any doubt about the codes you need then speak to your accountant who will be able to clarify this for you.